- Book Reserves: Books placed on reserve at the Brown Science and Engineering Library are held behind the circulation desk. They can be checked out for two hours, but may not be renewed. One hour before closing, library owned reserve materials may be checked out overnight and will be due the following morning by 10:00 a.m. (12 noon on Saturday and Sunday). Personally owned materials that instructors place on reserve may not leave the library. Each patron is limited to checking out two reserve items at a time.
- UVaCollab Reserves: If your class has a webpage with online course readings, you can view it through UVaCollab.
- Reserve requests will be processed in the order they are received. Most items will be placed on reserve within 72 hours. Items that must be recalled for reserve will be placed on reserve when they are returned to the library. Items that must be ordered will be placed on reserve when they arrive.
- Book Reserves: Course instructors may place library books on reserve by using the online form or by coming into the Brown Science and Engineering library and filling out a "Book Reserve Request" form.
- UVaCollab and Photocopy Reserves: If you have a xerox copy that you would like to place on reserve, please come to the Brown Science and Engineering Library and fill out a "UVaCollab and Photocopy Reserve" form. Make sure to indicate whether you would like the item scanned and placed on UVaCollab electronically, or if you would like it placed on reserve as a photocopy. Both options may be chosen if desired.
If you would like the Library to retrieve the material, scan it and place it on UVaCollab, then you should complete a UVaCollab Request within your Interlibrary Services Account. [Note: you may have to create an account first]. The Instructional Scanning Services staff at Alderman Library will complete your request.
For electronic reserves, please read the Criteria for UVaCollab Requests. The Faculty Course Materials page includes links to help place course materials on reserve or on UVaCollab.
For Photocopy Reserves, please be aware that theUniversity's Policy on Copying of Copyrighted Materials applies to any copied materials placed on reserve and is strictly enforced. The bottom of the Faculty Course Materials has more information on copyright. If necessary, you may take a look at this sample letter for obtaining copyright permission.
- Personal Copy Reserves: Instructors may also place personal copies of books or other materials on reserve. Please be aware that personal copies must be marked and barcoded for use with our circulation system and that the library cannot assume liability for materials that are worn, torn, mutilated, or stolen.