|Arise and Build!|
Articles and Essays
Our Glorious University
This letter to the editor, reprinted separately from the June 28, 1898 Richmond Times, reports on the commencement exercises at the University. The restored Rotunda and the three new academic buildings were dedicated in June 1898. The author, L.S. Marye, describes the new buildings:
"The new buildings are classical in design and in admirable harmony with the original erections. The general effect is most pleasing and cannot fail to excite a feeling of exaltation and enthusiasm.
And so our beloved University has emerged from the dread disaster in finer form, and better shape, and larger capacity, for the noble work of a great institution of learning."