Hello world example showing the barest minimum for MEI compliance for an encoding consisting of a single middle C note.
An example showing the basic file structure of a typical MEI instance.
Examples from Beyond MIDI: The Handbook of Musical Codes. Eleanor Selfridge-Field, ed. Cambridge, Mass: MIT Press, 1997. The MEI files were created from MusicXML files using the 2mei.xsl and 2mei2.xsl stylesheets. They are all valid against the latest version of the DTD. The postscript was generated by Music Publisher (MUP, available from Arkkra Enterprises). The MUP input was created by transforming the MEI file with an XSLT stylesheet. The stylesheet will be made available soon. Eventually, there may be software which takes MEI input and produces notation output directly; however, the current process is sufficient to demonstrate MEI's capabilities.
- Second Trio from Mozart's Clarinet Quintet, K. 581 mei => PostScript | PDF
- Excerpt from Mozart's Piano Sonata in A major, K. 331 mei => PostScript | PDF
- Anonymous Saltarello mei => PostScript | PDF
- Telemann aria "Liebe! Liebe! Was ist schöner als die Liebe?" mei => PostScript | PDF
- Quem queritis mei => PostScript | PDF
- Binchois "Magnificat secundi toni" mei => PostScript | PDF
- Brahms, Waltzes, Op. 39, no. 1 PostScript| PDF => mro => MusicXML => mei
- Berg, Piano Sonata, Op. 1 PostScript| PDF => mro => MusicXML => mei
The following files are part of a test for the Online Chopin Variorum Edition (OCVE). The MEI file was derived via XSLT from a MusicXML file, which was produced by SharpEye and hand-edited by Craig Sapp of Stanford University. The MEI file was hand-edited as well in order to add some features that SharpEye didn't catch, such as pedal and tempo markings, to correct some errors, such as missing notes and incorrect phrase mark attachments, and to remedy deficiencies in the transformation process. The machine-generated MIDI file was created using Mup and the MIDI file of the complete piece was downloaded from http://www.kunstderfuge.com/mid/chopin/barcarolle_60_(c)lefeldt.mid. IMPORTANT! All these files are valid against version 1.5b. No effort has been made to make them conform to version 1.7b as yet. Version 1.5b is available at http://www.lib.virginia.edu/innovation/mei/mei15b/
- Chopin, Barcarolle, op. 60, pg. 9
NOTE: The following MEI files were created by hand using a text editor. They too are valid against version 1.5b of the MEI DTD. At some point in the not-too-distant future, filters will be written to translate existing files from formats other than MusicXML into MEI. Perhaps later, dedicated editors will be created as well.
- Figures scanned from Byrd, Donald. "Music Notation Software and Intelligence."Computer Music Journal, v. 18, no. 1 (1994). MEI markup is provided for each figure; however, Postscript output has not yet been generated for these examples.
- Other examples