About Our Collections
The Music Library holds most of the University Libraries' materials related to the subject of music. The collection of over 135,000 musical scores, recordings and books supports research in the following disciplines: musicology, theory and analysis, composition, performance, jazz, musical theater, ethnic and world music, popular music and folk music. Most materials are listed in U.Va.'s library catalog, VIRGO.
The Library's music research materials are also noted in Resources of American Music History and the International Inventory of Musical Sources (RISM).
Highlights of the printed music collections include:
- the Mackay-Smith Collection of European Music, 1650-1910;
- the Monticello music collection;
- nine editions of the Bay Psalm Books, 1682-1773;
- Pre-1800 theoretical and historical treatises; and
- a large collection of shape note hymnals and tunebooks.
These and other rare music materials are housed in the Albert and Shirley Small Special Collections Library.