Preservation Procedures Manual
The University of Virginia Library uses two types of barcodes: singles and doubles
- Regular Barcodes (Singles)
- are used for all new materials that are not going to the bindery or that will not be placed in a protective enclosure.
- have one layer of adhesive. They affix permanently the moment they are removed from the roll. They always start with the sequence 004.
- are affixed to the lower front cover of the books.
- Piggyback Pairs Barcodes (Doubles)
- are used for bundled periodicals that are going to the bindery
- come in pairs and have an extra backing with a layer of adhesive. This allows for the backing to be adhered in one place and then the barcode can still be removed and affixed to its permanent location after it is bound or boxed. The double barcode always start with the sequence 006.
- The backing that holds the second barcode is adhered to the verso of the title page. After the item is bound, the barcode is adhered to the front cover.
Request barcodes by email.