Preservation Procedures Manual
The Shelf Preparation Unit in Acquisitions prepares library materials for the library stacks.
- Production of call number labels for books, pamphlet binders, dissertations, audiovisual material and computer files. Labels are made using the Print Spine function on SIRSI in conjunction with a MacroExpress Program that copies and pastes the call number onto a word template and prints the labels using a laser printer. (See Spine Labeling On SIRSI)
- Property stamping of the UVA logo on the inside cover of each book. (Vendor processed books such as Yankee come with the cover already stamped with the UVA logo.)
- Attach bookplates as requested.
- Placement of a single sided security strip inside the spine of each book. If the spine is too tight, a double sided security strip is placed between the last couple of pages of the book. (Vendor processed books such as Yankee books already have security strips). All paperbacks should receive a double sided security strip.
- Labeling of all other materials such as microfiche envelopes or microfilm boxes. These are labeled with a stamp or by hand.
- Process rush materials within two hours of receipt
- Maintain statistics.
- Check for quality control on all materials to ensure that they are shelf ready.
- Macro Express Macro Software and Word Template with Sirsi Workflows.
- Gaylord Pressure Sensitive Paper Laser Labels PS 292P.
- Gaylord Clear Label Protectors R-319.
- Laser Printer.
- Open Macro Express Macro (minimize).
- Open Word Template (minimize).
- Open Sirsi Workflows.
- Click on Display/Search Item.
- Click on Spine Label Icon.
- Hit F6 which is programmed to highlight the call number.
- Hit F8 which is programmed to copy and paste the call number to the template.
- When template is full, hit F5 to remove bold lines.
- Perform any editing that is needed on the word template.
- Click Print and one whole sheet of labels will print on the laser printer.
- Apply labels and cover using label protectors.
- Collect Rush material. Usually they have a special routing slip: Green, Pink (NYTWP), Reviewed material and blue slips (Reference).
- Produce labels and apply them to the spine. If it does not fit on the spine, apply it to the front upper left hand corner of the front cover. All material with the exception of Music material, dissertations, and theses receive a security strip.
- See the table below for appropriate routing of materials:
|Dept NYTWP||Charge/discharge to marking; deliver to Leo shelves|
|Clemons NYTWP||Deliver to the NYTWP truck on the 4th floor Clemons (behind the Circulation Desk)|
|Dept/Ald Faculty||Deliver to LEO (the routing slip will say "Faculty")|
|Ald Reference||Deliver to the Alderman Reference Room|
|Dept Rush||Charge/discharge to marking; deliver to Leo shelves|
|Ald Rush||Deliver behind the Alderman Circulation Desk|
|Clemons Rush||Deliver behind the Clemons Circulation Desk|