Preservation Procedures Manual
This manual is designed to assist University of Virginia Library staff in the selection, routing, and preparation of materials for library binding, reformatting, and in-house conservation repair.
The University of Virginia Libraries currently work with the HF Group / Mid Atlantic Bindery to provide library or commercial binding for books, periodicals, and other materials, including theses and dissertations. Preservation photocopying of brittle library materials is also contracted through HF Group / Etherington Conservation Services.
The Preservation department provides collections conservation care for the circulating collections of the University of Virginia Libraries. These treatments range from book and paper repair to custom fitted protective enclosures. The use of quality, durable materials and efficient, structurally sound techniques guides our activities.
- Chapter I Organization of the Preservation Section
- Chapter II Selecting the Appropriate Treatment
- Chapter III Barcodes
- Chapter IV Preservation and Binding User ID Codes
- Chapter V Shelf Preparation
- Chapter VI Binding
- Chapter VII Conservation
- Chapter VIII Brittle Books
- Appendix Basic Principles of Physical Treatment
- Glossary Of Preservation Terms