Digital Services is one of the primary caretakers responsible for the transformation of the Library's rare and unique materials to digital formats. Using specialized equipment to properly handle these materials, we digitize such varied objects as rare books, manuscripts, maps, and other artifactual objects. Digital Service's primary mission is to convert these rare materials to digital formats that the U.Va. community can use to support their research and instructional needs. Our secondary mission is to use these digital surrogates as a means to highlight and promote the library's rare materials in such a way that more users can gain access and discover them.
- Digitization of Library collections for online discovery and dissemination
- Digitization of Library collections by request for use in research, teaching, or publication (print or digital)
- Digitization Services for Faculty (DS4F) offers digitization of slides, books (out of copyright), maps, manuscripts and other formats needed by faculty for classroom instruction. A request form and information sheet with full details are available for download. These requests can be submitted at:
- Please review our Use of Materials Requirements and Policy Statements.
Digital Collections Services
Digital Collections Services coordinates, curates, and sustains digital library activities, drawing on the skills and expertise of individuals throughout the library as appropriate, to vet, prioritize, and prepare digital materials for the Library Managed Content (LMC) collections.
- Content Knowledge & Outreach
- Provides a prioritization framework for current and future content intended for the LMC collection.
- Provides a contact and coordination point for subject librarians for selections made for the LMC collection.
- Provides technical training and documentation of library systems tools and processes.
- Collection Support & Processing
- Pilots new and legacy LMC collections through the appropriate workflows and ingestion processes.
- Researches provenance of digital materials and republication requests
- Hosts and supports selected U.Va. academic publishing activities
- Metadata Coordination
- Works with colleagues across the library to implement best practices for administrative, structural, and descriptive metadata requirements for LMC.
- Preservation Partner
- Works with Preservation Services to ensure the LMC collections are created and maintained in a sustainable way.
- Design, implementation, and support for the services needed to manage, discover and deliver the Library's digital collections
Please see our contacts page to reach the appropriate staff.
News & Events ...
- The Scholarly Resources unit has changed its name to Digital Curation
Services so we will be better positioned to engage with national
conversations on related topics.
Where to go ...
Requests for Digital Curation Services services may be placed at these locations:
- the Scholars' Lab in Alderman Library
- the Research Computing Lab at the Brown Science & Engineering Library