Go to Section or Dept. Name home
Small Special Collections Library, UVa

Hours: click to view hours

Phone: (434) 243-1776 | Fax:(434) 924-4968

Home | Reference Request | Class Request | Where We Are | Staff Directory

 

The Cabell Family Papers

In approximately 1742, Dr. William Cabell built the "Swan Creek Plantation" at the center of his Virginia properties and distributed the surrounding tracts to his four sons. Nicholas Cabell inherited the main house upon his father's death and renamed it during the Revolution, "Liberty Hall." In 1895, the same year in which the University of Virginia's Rotunda succombed to flames, Liberty Hall burned to the ground. Archer Minardi has made the following photographs of the Liberty Hall property and cemetary available.


The site of Liberty Hall, now vacant.
The cemetary at Liberty Hall.
Monument honoring Dr. William Cabell and Elizabeth Burks.
Inscription by Joseph C. Cabell, who comissioned the monument.
Graves of Col. Nicholas and Hannah Cabell.
*Copies of Mrs. Minardi's prints were received electronically; hard copies are not available at the University of Virginia Special Collections Library.


University of Virginia Library
PO Box 400113, Charlottesville, VA 22904-4113
ph: (434) 924-3021, fax: (434) 924-1431, library@virginia.edu

Text Version    |   Libraries   |   Depts./Contacts   |  U.Va. Home   |   ITC

Website Feedback   |   Search   |   Questions? Ask a Librarian   |   Hours   |   Map   |   Policies   |   Jobs

Tracking Opt-out    |   © by the Rector and Visitors of the University of Virginia

Federal Library Depository logo  This library is a Congressionally designated depository for U.S. Government documents. Public access to the Government documents is guaranteed by public law.